Monday, October 25, 2010

The Beginning of the End

Of pumping at work, that is. Today is the first day that I did not pump at work. I have been pumping for nine months and twenty-six days...

While we were on vacation, I was only pumping twice a day, and I found if I pumped three times a day, I didn't get any more milk. I am now able to pump before and after work. No more lugging my bag and supplies back and forth to and from work and disinfecting everything multiple times a day.

I find this change bittersweet. I like that I am able to get my work completed in a more relaxed fashion. I love that I can socialize with my colleges and have time to visit with my patients rather than just rushing all day long.  But then, I miss the quiet 30 minute breaks where I can clear my mind and de-stress. And I think most of all, I know that the end of breastfeeding is near. I am pumping anywhere from 10 to 20% of the amount I was able to produce at six months. Katie isn't eating as much now as she was then, either, so I don't necessarily have to produce like I was. But I am not able to keep up with her demand. Last month was the first month she drank more than I could make.

I have plenty of reserves for her, and I should be able to come close to my 12 month goal. I just can't believe our little girl is going to be a toddler soon.

1 comment:

Leslie said...

you have done such a great job pumping amy! You make it look so easy, thank you for being a great role model in the boobie department lol. You've given me the confidence to pump at work!